You can report if your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) is lost or stolen from inside or outside the UK however you can only apply for a BRP replacement from inside the UK.

A biometric residence permit (BRP) can be used to confirm your identity, right to study and right to any public services or benefits you're entitled to.

You cannot use your BRP to confirm your right to work or rent.

Our highly experienced immigration solicitors based in  Levenshulme, Manchester can provide free general immigration advice online via email, online chat, or an enquiry form. For detailed advice, please book an appointment with our expert immigration solicitor today.

You can contact us on 01612258181 or leave your details here for a call back request regarding your immigration matter.

If you lost your BRP Card in the UK

  • If your lost or stolen BRP was valid for 3 months or more, report it and apply for a replacement. You must do this within 3 months of losing it.
  • If your BRP was valid for 3 months or less, you must do one of the following:
  • report it as lost or stolen if you do not intend to remain in the UK after its expiry date
  • apply for a replacement if you plan to leave and re-enter the UK within 3 months of its expiry date
  • apply to extend your visa if you want to stay in the UK after its expiry date - if granted, you'll automatically get a new BRP

If you lost your BRP Card outside the UK

You must report your lost or stolen BRP outside the UK. You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you'll need to apply for a 'replacement BRP visa', which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.

You can apply for a replacement BRP when you return to the UK. You must do this within 3 months of reporting it lost or stolen unless you have a good reason, for example you were unable to return to the UK in that time.

BRP Card and the EU settlement scheme

Those with EU Pre-Settled or Settled Status are not issued with a BRP. Instead, they can evidence their right to live, rent, and work in the UK by using the online immigration status checking service4 on the Home Office website.

If you have a Biometric Residence Card, it is possible to apply for a replacement if you are not from the EU/EEA, you have Pre-Settled or Settled Status, you have reported your card as lost/stolen (or it has expired), and you are in the UK.

How to apply for a biometric residence card replacement?

If you are in the UK, you can use the Home Office website online to apply for a replacement BRP. To apply, you will need to:

  • complete the online application form6
  • pay the BRP replacement fee
  • upload any documents required to UKVI (see below for a list of these documents)
  • have your biometrics taken (fingerprints and a photo) at a UKVI service centre – you will be advised how to book an appointment and the location of your nearest service centre.

Can you travel outside the UK without a BRP Card?

While you can leave and travel outside the UK without your BRP card, you may struggle to prove your immigration status when you come back to the UK. For this reason, we always recommend keeping your BRP card with you when you leave the UK. As discussed above, if you have lost your BRP and you are outside the UK, you will need to apply for a replacement BRP visa.

BRP replacement processing time 2022

In 2022, Home Office is taking 3-8 weeks to process a BRP replacement application from inside the UK however, you may get a faster decision from the Home Office in a straightforward case.

How much does it cost to replace a BRP card?

The current Home Office BRP replacement fee is £56. This is the BRP replacement fee inside the UK. If you are applying for a replacement BRP visa to return to the UK, this typically takes up to 3 weeks to process.

Solicitor fees for BRP replacement application

We charge a fixed fee starting from £400 - £600 + VAT for our professional legal services in relation to the BRP replacement application. The agreed fixed-fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.

How Can We Help With Your UK Visa Application?

Our expert UK immigration solicitor will guide you through every step of your application process including advice about legal requirements, eligibility criteria and required documents.

  • Detailed immigration advice
  • List of documents and assessment of supporting documents
  • Direct Access to your case handler and supervisor
  • Remote & face to face service
  • Submission of your immigration application after your approval
  • We book an appointment for you to enrol your biometrics
  • We prepare our legal representations/cover letter
  • We upload all the supporting documents
  • Unlimited chase up letters to the Home Office
  • We keep you updated with every stage of your application
  • 24/7 support in urgent matters

How can we help?

United Solicitors in Manchester offer fast, professional, affordable and exceptional legal services.