If you want to get a copy of your personal information that is held on the Home Office's immigration records then you can make a Subject Access Request (SAR) application online to Home Office, UKVI.

Our highly experienced immigration solicitors based in  Levenshulme, Manchester can provide free general immigration advice online via email, online chat, or an enquiry form. For detailed advice, please book an appointment with our expert immigration solicitor today.

You can contact us on 01612258181 or leave your details here for a call back request regarding your immigration matter.

What is a Subject Access Request (SAR)?

A subject access request (SAR) is an application to the Home Office, UKVI to get a copy of all the personal information, documents, records, decisions, notes etc which the Home Office is holding about you in their database. Requests for access to records and for other information about those records are known as "subject access requests" and are made to the person or organisation (the "data controller") who you think is processing (holding, disclosing or using) the information to which you want to access.

What are the types of Subject Access Requests?

There are 3 different types of Subject Access Requests you can make to the Home Office, UKVI to retrieve your personal information. 

1. Basic

You can request a copy of:

  • an electronic summary of your immigration history
  • landing cards we hold electronically
  • visa applications you submitted from outside of the UK (as part of entry clearance)
  • Workers Registration Scheme (WRS) information if you are a national of Czechia, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia
  • Entry and exit into and out of the UK. Your travel history can be provided for the past 5 years if a passport or travel document is submitted for this period

Most people find that this option gives them all the information they need.

2. Specific

You can request specific information if you need to. You should clearly describe what documents you need.

You can request copies of up to 5 single documents, for example:

  • a list of your applications
  • a particular decision letter
  • the outcome of an appeal (appeal determination)
  • a particular detention progress report
  • a deportation order
  • a particular interview record

If you need more information than the single documents in this list, you will need to make a detailed request.

3. Detailed

This allows you to request a copy of your Home Office paper file.

Initially, you will be sent an electronic summary of your immigration information (as with a basic application) this gives most people what they need.

However, this option also allows you to request further information from your Home Office paper file if the electronic data did not fulfil your request.

Refining your request to state clearly what paper records you need will help your application.

How to make a Subject Access Request (SAR) application?

You can use an online application form to make a Subject Access Request to Home Office UKVI. Using the online application will reduce the time it takes to respond to your request.

Subject Access Request Home Office processing time

Home Office usually takes 1 month to respond to your Subject Access Request (SAR) application after receiving the SAR application and all the supporting documents.

How much does a subject access request cost?

You can make a Subject Access Request (SAR) application to the Home Office free of charge. Previously, the fee for a Subject Access Request was £10 but now it's free.

Our legal fees

For Subject Access Request (SAR) applications, our experienced immigration solicitors charge a fixed fee starting from £150 + VAT for our professional legal services. The agreed fixed fee will depend on the complexity of the matter and the casework involved in the matter.

How can we help?

United Solicitors in Manchester offer fast, professional, affordable and exceptional legal services.